No need to miss out on Shrove Tuesday, if you're a vegan, with this recipe for egg-less pancakes. They're delicious. Honest! Makes 12 Pancakes.
8oz Unbleached White Flour
1oz Soya Flour
1oz Caster Sugar
4 fl oz Soya Milk
10 fl oz Water
- Sift the flours and sugar together.
- Mix the soya milk and water together, and add to the dry ingredients a little at a time, until you have a smooth batter with a pouring consistency.
- Put a little oil in the pan and heat until very hot.
- Using a ladle, drop the equivalent of about three tablespoons of the batter into the pan and immediately tilt it to ensure an even spread.
- Cook until bubbles appear on the surface, then cross your fingers and toss the pancake. Failing this, flip it over with a spatula.
- Cook the other side for a similar length of time - a good test of readiness is when it slides around the pan and is speckled with brown spots.
- Make the first pancake a sacrificial one to season the pan ie throw it away!
- Eat any disasters (or successes for that matter) with lemon juice & a sprinling of sugar, golden syrup & a sprinkling of sugar, jam & soya cream or ice cream.