Spicy Kidney Bean Salad
This salad has become a firm favourite, it goes very well with barbecued food and eastern dishes and is a good winter salad.
½lb Red Kidney Beans
3 Medium Tomatoes
2 Teaspoons Cumin Seeds
Salt and Pepper
- Wash the beans and soak over night in cold water. When soaked rinse and cover with fresh water in a pan. Bring to the boil and keep boiling vigorously for at least ten to fifteen minutes to destroy the toxins. Then turn down the heat and allow to cook until tender.
- Whilst the beans are cooking cut the half cauliflower into small florets, wash it and leave to drain in a sieve or colander.
- Next heat the oil in a wok or heavy pan and add the cumin seeds. Keep stirring the seeds until they are fried a nice golden brown and begin to pop, make sure not to burn them.
- Once the seeds are cooked add the cauliflower and mix well letting it cook on until just done, remove from the heat immediately and allow to cool.
- Keep an eye on those beans, as soon as they are cooked drain them, rinse well with plenty of cold water, and allow to cool.
- Wash the tomatoes then cut them into wedges.
- Rinse the parsley and chop it finely. Squeeze the lemon making sure to sieve out the pips.
- Mix all the ingredients together carefully seasoning to taste with a little salt and pepper.
- The dried kidney beans can of course be replaced with a tin of ready cooked beans, just rinse them well to remove the liquid they have been tinned in which always tastes horrible.