Mediterranean Rice Salad
Here is a delicious lemon vinaigrette based recipe which is as tasty and satisfying as a risotto, which it very nearly is. Make this one with your barbecues, but make a lot!
8oz Long Grain Brown Rice
1 Red Pepper
1 Green Pepper
4 Spring Onions
8 Black Olives
2 Tablespoons Parsley
1 Clove Garlic
3 fl oz Olive Oil
- Wash, rinse and cook the rice. When cooked drain, rinse in cold water and allow to cool.
- Wash the other vegetables, de-seed the peppers and slice them thinly. Cut the tomatoes into wedges. Finely chop the spring onion and parsley. Pit the black olives, if you have not got a pitter slice them in half and remove the stone that way.
- Mix all the prepared vegetables with the cooked rice.
- Squeeze the lemon, strain the pips out of the juice and mix it with the olive oil, salt and black pepper. Peel and chop the garlic and add it to the mixture. Blend until smooth and pour on to the salad, stirring it gently to coat the ingredients.
- The dressings we have used in our recipes can all be made in larger quantities and kept refrigerated for up to three days. If they separate out just blend them or shake them again. You will have noticed that the preceding two salads use nearly the same dressing so you could make one batch of the basic recipe in advance and add the basil and parsley to half just before serving. Two salads for a summer party with half the work.