4 sticks celery
4 carrots peeled
2 fennel bulbs
6 medium beetroots
2 medium potatoes
500g cooked butterbeans
The juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 litre of vegetable stock
2-3 bay leaves
Salt and pepper
- Bring 5 litres of water to the boil in a lare pan.
- Put in the onions, celery, carrots and fennel and simmer until very soft (at least half an hour).
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut into cubes.
- Peel the beetroot and grate/slice thinly.
- Remove the soft veg from the boiling water.
- Add the potatoes, beetroot and bay leaves.
- Bring to the boil and cook until nearly soft.
- Add the stock, lemon juice, butter beans and salt and pepper to taste.
- Dissolve the mustard in a little cold water and add to the soup - adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Serve warm with crusty bread.